Since Amber is not on Facebook, I am going to post notes from our days in Germany here. Also, it is pretty easy to post pics here as opposed to gmail.
We left Detroit at about 12:30 on Tuesday...flew to Atlanta...flew to Paris...flew to Hamburg and here we are. I think we missed a night there...dad was able to doze, but I could only be wiggly and uncomfortable. Our flights were great and first class is a thing of amazement on long trips in big planes. The seats on the flight to Paris totally collapse so it really allows you to lay down and stretch and get comfy with the pillow and blanket each of us were provided. The hot meal, ready liquids, snacks and personally selected movie access made the 8 1/2 hour flight very tolerable. I enjoyed it while I could, knowing first class would not be a recurring theme in my life!
We also found and enjoyed the snacks, clean bathrooms and other comforts of the Delta lounges in Detroit, Paris and Atlanta!
Arriving in Hamburg around 6 this morning, the city was still waking up and we were just pushing through. Once we got our car rented and found the motel, we slept for a couple hours so we could face the challenges of, well, of walking, etc. No AC or heat in our room right now. They turn it off in the whole building for the whole season since it cools off at night. He did bring us a nice Rowenta fan to circulate the air, however.
Our hotel is right in the city center of Hamburg. It is a nice sized town but not too big to navigate. We spent a few hours walking around. There is a lake that is right down here and lots of people live right down in the town center area...above businesses in nice apts or in complexes right in the area. I think it is just like the kind of thing you'd hoped to find in Bakersfield, Amber. I think you all would like how people of all stages of life are out... biking to get around and for fun, walking to get around and for exercise, running, and shopping. For the size town it is, there is an inordinate amount of bakeries with the freshly made croissants, brotchen, etc. (Karyn, what was that pastry you told us to try at least once?)
You can rent a small sail, paddle or row boat by the hour on this lake. I snapped a picture of the lake this evening. There must have been a hundred little sail boats out on the lake. I'd love to try it though I don't trust my sailing skills. Dad and I might do a row or paddle boat later this week.
On our browse through town, there was a jazzy bathroom fixture store. Free standing tubs are in and they had some very cool ones. At the bakery where we shared a schnitzel for supper, they had a square toilet. Since that was the first for me, I snapped a picture.
The other pics are of the beautiful Bahnhof (train) station down here.
I am looking forward to exploring more tomorrow and not being so sleepy! I may rent a bike, but plan to walk around the lake too!
Love you all -
Mom on Weds evening in Hamburg (8-27-14)
Amber - let me know about when you plan to take delivery of the washer/dryer. Hope it all works out. Also, hope they come and fix the AC tonight.
C & E et al - You must be wrapping up final things before your final goodbye to leave on Sat. Did all the packing get completed. Any loose ends? Will be praying for journey mercies to you all. Congrats, Caleb, on the latest patent you were awarded!
Karyn - let me know about that pastry, or any other things you think we should look for in Hamburg. Thanks again for holding down the fort so we could be here. Mimi Luce should arrive at DV at 4:00 today.
We left Detroit at about 12:30 on Tuesday...flew to Atlanta...flew to Paris...flew to Hamburg and here we are. I think we missed a night there...dad was able to doze, but I could only be wiggly and uncomfortable. Our flights were great and first class is a thing of amazement on long trips in big planes. The seats on the flight to Paris totally collapse so it really allows you to lay down and stretch and get comfy with the pillow and blanket each of us were provided. The hot meal, ready liquids, snacks and personally selected movie access made the 8 1/2 hour flight very tolerable. I enjoyed it while I could, knowing first class would not be a recurring theme in my life!
We also found and enjoyed the snacks, clean bathrooms and other comforts of the Delta lounges in Detroit, Paris and Atlanta!
Arriving in Hamburg around 6 this morning, the city was still waking up and we were just pushing through. Once we got our car rented and found the motel, we slept for a couple hours so we could face the challenges of, well, of walking, etc. No AC or heat in our room right now. They turn it off in the whole building for the whole season since it cools off at night. He did bring us a nice Rowenta fan to circulate the air, however.
Our hotel is right in the city center of Hamburg. It is a nice sized town but not too big to navigate. We spent a few hours walking around. There is a lake that is right down here and lots of people live right down in the town center area...above businesses in nice apts or in complexes right in the area. I think it is just like the kind of thing you'd hoped to find in Bakersfield, Amber. I think you all would like how people of all stages of life are out... biking to get around and for fun, walking to get around and for exercise, running, and shopping. For the size town it is, there is an inordinate amount of bakeries with the freshly made croissants, brotchen, etc. (Karyn, what was that pastry you told us to try at least once?)
You can rent a small sail, paddle or row boat by the hour on this lake. I snapped a picture of the lake this evening. There must have been a hundred little sail boats out on the lake. I'd love to try it though I don't trust my sailing skills. Dad and I might do a row or paddle boat later this week.
On our browse through town, there was a jazzy bathroom fixture store. Free standing tubs are in and they had some very cool ones. At the bakery where we shared a schnitzel for supper, they had a square toilet. Since that was the first for me, I snapped a picture.
The other pics are of the beautiful Bahnhof (train) station down here.
I am looking forward to exploring more tomorrow and not being so sleepy! I may rent a bike, but plan to walk around the lake too!
Love you all -
Mom on Weds evening in Hamburg (8-27-14)
Amber - let me know about when you plan to take delivery of the washer/dryer. Hope it all works out. Also, hope they come and fix the AC tonight.
C & E et al - You must be wrapping up final things before your final goodbye to leave on Sat. Did all the packing get completed. Any loose ends? Will be praying for journey mercies to you all. Congrats, Caleb, on the latest patent you were awarded!
Karyn - let me know about that pastry, or any other things you think we should look for in Hamburg. Thanks again for holding down the fort so we could be here. Mimi Luce should arrive at DV at 4:00 today.
At the bakery with the nice man who sold us a schnitzel sandwich and made a tasty latte.
Have you see/used square toilets?
Lots of people enjoying the sailing/boating on the lake in the middle of Hamburg.
Local train station.





Schnittlauchbrezel! A pretzel with cream cheese and chives. They should have it at at least one of die Bakerei.
ReplyDelete